Monday, January 4, 2010

MARTINS COVE 1/3/04


Happy New Year family and friends,

Well we all made it into the New year, and here at the Cove we can look back at a very exciting and special 2009. Last year we came to this Mission not really knowing what to expect. We knew it was a service mission and we would be helping thousands of young people to have a pioneer experience. But, we had no idea what a rewarding and spiritual experience it would be for us. To be able to watch the hordes of young people come from all over the country, dressed in pioneer attire, descend on the Cove, and then to observe them out on the trails pulling handcarts is a sight that brought us an indescribable thrill. To see them in their campgrounds, pitching their tents, cooking their meals, singing songs, dancing, and in general having a great, fun and wholesome experience is something we will never forget. This experience gave us hope for the future and a thrill in our hearts. We were also apprehensive about spending the winter in the high plains of Wyoming. But so far it has been a fun and rewarding experience. Although it's been colder than I have ever experienced in the past, it's been much easier to deal with than my imagination lead me to believe it would. Actually this past week has been much warmer than expected with most days above freezing, in fact most of our snow here at the Cove has melted. It's probably the calm before the storm, but we'll take what we are given and make the best of it.

Today in Church I had the opportunity to teach a lesson on looking forward in the New Year. I took my material from an article in the January Ensign by Elder Jeffery R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. The lesson, which I feel was directed at me, talked about putting your past mistakes in the past and as the Apostle Paul told the Philippians, "place them on the dung heap of history" and then move forward. It gave me a lot of relief because I have had a tendency to beat myself up over my past. The Lord is not nearly as interested in our past as He is in our present and where we go in the future. That is all I'm going to say on that subject. ( if anyone would like to read the whole lesson, let me know and I'll email it to you)

I would like to thank our dozens of friends and relatives who stay in touch and have sent us Christmas cards, pictures and letters. You really make us feel loved.

I would like to send our love and congratulations to my Aunt Ila on her 90th birthday. You are such a grand and elect lady and we all love and appreciate the great example that you are to the whole Leavitt family. This beautiful aunt is truly a family treasure, out of her 14 brothers and sisters, she is one of the few still living.

We would like to express our love and admiration to our oldest grandson Tommy who is in the Marines and just recently returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan. You are always in our thoughts and prayers!

We would like to congratulate our grandson Conner on your up-coming 12th birthday. You are such a wonderful young man, and a great source of pride for your grandparents.

May all of our family and friends have a Happy and Prosperous New Year, we send all of you our love and prayers.

Elder Leavitt

Hi Everyone -- I'm delighted that Elder Leavitt is back to his old form and that he hasn't been day dreaming this week :)

I can't agree more with what he said. As we look back over the year, we feel so blessed to have spent most of our year here -- in fact, it's hard to believe we have been here this long as the time has gone so quickly.

We celebrated New Years Eve in style by having a Wii bowling tournament. We now have two Wii systems here and they were set up in the Gathering Room. Sister Stastny had the high score at 214 with Sister Bolton right on her heels. I managed to bowl a 201 -- in fact I beat Elder Leavitt on every game we bowled together but who is keeping track?? :) We also played some other games and a couple of folks spent the evening putting a 500-piece puzzle together. Anyway, it was great fun and it was nice to sleep in on New Year's Day.

As we expected, the phone started ringing like crazy on January 2 with folks wanting to book treks for 2012 -- in fact, I booked 4 Stake treks in one day and I don't know how many Sister Hardy booked. So from here on out, we will be very busy in the office not only booking treks but also getting ready for the new Missionaries who will be arriving in April.

Our love and best wishes to you all in the New Year,

Sister Leavitt AKA Peggy

No comments: